1) How did you come up with the idea of one-stop online solution for TopTomato?
In an era where time and money have become mutually convertible commodities, we are passionate about creating a solution for the regular shopping chores of the people of Bangalore. Grocery shopping at conventional stores is often related to long queues at billing desks, tiring exercise of carrying the grocery bags back home, fighting for parking space and many more endless hassles over procurement of daily necessities.
The team did a study of the existing retail scenario of India and realized that an average Indian spends 58% of his monthly retail spend on food and personal care segment alone. Hence, the idea of integrating convenience into the experience of household shopping has the potential of touching every household in India.
2) What is the USP of TopTomato?
Toptomato team aims to redefine the shopping experience of every household by introducing the following unique concepts:
- Concept of household subscription – for the first time in India. You need to order your regular needs just once and relax, while TopTomato Team takes care of your household needs
- Nothing sells at MRP – you get discounts on all products
- Customised home delivery solutions – delivery from 7 am to 11 pm
- Shopping Lists and customised packages for all segments of the population
3) Whom do you compete with directly in the e-commerce market?
There are a couple of companies in Bangalore which are in the grocery ecommerce market, including Bigbasket and Zopnow. However, Toptomato is the first in the market to have the concept of subscription for daily essentials.
4) One of the major issues in e-tailing is the customer churn. How is TopTomato ensuring customer loyalty?
We strong believe in creating an unparalleled customer experience by offering our customers services like delivery within 24 hours, late night delivery slots and no-questions asked return policy at point of delivery. Also, the concept of subscription has been designed in such a manner that high level of flexibility and priority is assigned to such customers, which makes them high on loyalty. Also, we have seen that customers who opt for subscription with us also tend to club their one time requirements along with their subscriptions.
5) Recently focus has been on mobile internet based e-tailing. Is TopTomato planning to expand in mobile/telephone based order subscription?
TopTomato is planning to launch its mobile application – a pocket supermarket – very soon. The application is currently under development and focus is on creating a user friendly and simple UI for the customers. This will further expand the reach of TopTomato and enable people to place and edit an order from any place at any time.
6) Is there any plan to expand into perishable food items segment or adding any additional product line?
We are already working on adding fruits and vegetables into our product line very soon. Apart from perishables, we plan to start our own brand of staples in the market very soon.
7) What are the expansion plans within next 12 months for TopTomato?
Currently the focus is on stabilizing operations and then expanding our operations in entire Bangalore. We have had several requests from people living in areas where we do not cater currently to expand our services there, and our first priority is to reach all these people and cover entire Bangalore within the next 6 months. After that we would be expanding to other metros in India. We plan to have our operations in atleast 3 other metros within the next 12 months.